In today’s ever changing and litigious environment, even the best intentioned and well-staffed HR Departments may find it difficult to keep up with the many rules and regulations that govern pre-employment practices, hiring and background screening.
Every day we talk to employers and organizations of all sizes that are unaware of the numerous regulations that govern pre-employment screening and the use of criminal records – or – think that the regulations don’t apply to their specific situation or organization.
And even with all of the HR education available to obtain PHR, SPHR and GSPHR designations, nothing is really out there for HR professionals to learn what they need to know about the FCRA (which doesn’t just govern credit) and federally required procedures, such as Adverse Action – not to mention trying to keep up with state and city Ban the Box laws, state drug testing laws and the new EEOC Guidance. There’s no one stop shop, resource or class that one can take and learn everything they need to know to protect their organization.
And you may think that you’re protecting your organization from lawsuits from disgruntled applicants AND the ever growing number of lawsuits that are a result of Negligent Hiring, but are you SURE? What you don’t know really can hurt you.
What is Negligent Hiring Liability?
Negligent Hiring is “the failure of the employer to investigate a job applicant’s work experience, character, criminal history and other relevant data prior to the hiring of an employee.”
Negligent hiring liability holds employer responsible both for both what they DO know and what they should have known about their employees.
Did you know?…..
- Courts have REPEATEDLY affirmed that employers have a duty to exercise REASONABLE CARE in hiring individuals who, because of the nature of employment, may pose a threat to the public.
- Your organization can and will be held liable for criminal or violent acts of its employees.
- Juries in such cases will assume that if you COULD have known you were hiring someone dangerous or unfit for a job, you should have known.
The costs are just too great to put your organization at risk by hiring employees without performing and documenting proper due diligence in your hiring decisions. Our client partners know that they’re receiving the most accurate information and the most comprehensive background checks available.
Let RSI help and guide you every step of the way.
That’s where we can help.
RSI offers comprehensive background screening programs that are best defense against costly claims.
Our dedicated Compliance Team works daily to ensure that our clients are in – and stay in – compliance. Regardless of your industry, whether it’s criminal records, adverse action, understanding FCRA obligations, DOT regulations or drug testing – we’ve got you covered.
Ask us “what’s new?” and we’ll tell you everything….
- Dedicated Compliance Team of Advanced FCRA Certified Specialists
- EEOC Guidance expertise & support, including our INDIVIDUALIZED ASSESSMENT PROGRAM
- Client education seminars, webinars & on-site consultation and training
- Background Screening policy development guidance & support
- Online subscriptions to each state’s legal & regulatory updates at State and Federal levels – reviewed daily, as well as numerous legal journals
- DOT Program Management – total support